Merle Bombardieri, MSW, LICSW has been helping people make this decision for over thirty years in her therapy and coaching practice and in her Baby Decision Workshops. With a depth that only a psychotherapist can provide, she shows you strategies for dealing with doubt and ambivalence and uncovering your deepest self-knowledge. Through anecdotes, exercises, guidelines, and checklists, she leads you to your best possible choice.
Imagine the relief of finally cutting through the tangled vines of pros and cons and seeing a clear decision emerge. Merle helps you not only to make a decision but to use it as an opportunity for you and your relationship to grow.
You will learn how to:
- Use dozens of “Secret Doors” exercises to uncover hidden feelings and wisdom.
- Separate your own needs and preferences from societal myths and expectations.
- Give full consideration to the rewards and opportunities of living childfree.
- Talk constructively with your partner even if you disagree.
- Manage work-life balance and keep your relationship strong.
- Make decisions about one-child families, single and gay parenting, fertility and adoption.
- Borrow some of the benefits of the other choice.
- You will also learn how to trust your decision and make the most of it.
- Includes resources and bibliography.
- Bonus section: Preparing your body for a healthy pregnancy.
Are you thinking about remaining childfree?
The Baby Decision will show you:
- How to cope with pressures to parent from family, friends, and others.
- How to handle ignorant or hostile comments. With these voices subdued, exercise your freedom to make your own best decision.
- Self-exploration exercises that help you rule out parenting so that you can trust your choice, for example “Yucky Babies,” pp. 35-36
- Dozens of ways to get the most mileage out of living childfree, in the chapter, ”Embracing Your Childfree Life”
- How to understand and negotiate with your partner if you are disagreeing on the decision. “Tug of War: What to Do When Couples Conflict”
- 10 tips on breaking the news to your parents and in-laws to soften the blow.
- 12 actions disappointed fertility patients for healing and decision-making so you can discover the rewards of living childfree.
- How to make peace with being childfree for your partner’s sake when you have been eager to parent. Moving beyond disappointment to a good life.
The Baby Decision is available in paperback, Kindle, and many other ebook formats. See where to purchase here.